Rajasthan Administrative Services exam popularly known as RAS is a state-level local examination similar to the IAS exam that is for central level Indian Administrative Services. Like Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts the IAS exam, the RAS exam is conducted by The Rajasthan Public Service Commission (RPSC).
RAS is a competitive exam that requires proper planning and practice before getting into it. Anyone who wants to start his preparation should go through the exam syllabus, exam pattern, and proper study material. The pattern of RAS is made around the IAS exam pattern.
The RPSC RAS exam recruitment is conducted in the following 3 phases:
- The RAS Pre (Preliminary Exam)
- The RAS Mains (Mains Exam)
- Interview round/Viva-voice/Personality test (Final round)
RAS Exam Pattern: Until 2018 The RAS exams consisted of Maths questions in the mains exams. But now it is removed from the paper and from 2018 the mains paper was held with a new pattern.
The Prelims paper is only a single paper that contains 150 Questions and is of 200 marks, unlike in IAS which has 2 papers in prelims. This is a qualifying base round and no marks are used for the final merit list.
The Mains exam has 4 papers that should be qualified in order to be selected for the final round. So you need to select the best RAS coaching institute to clear the exam.
RAS Prelims Exam Pattern
The RAS Pre Exam is the first step towards selection.
The following are the important steps for the Prelims:
- It is just a qualifying paper in nature, all you need is to get through the cut-off marks.
- It consists of only a single paper that has General Science and General Knowledge in it, unlike 2 papers that are in the IAS exams.
- The level of questions in the paper of the RPSC RAS Prelims Exam is of Graduation level.
- The Pre exam of RAS is objective type and contains 150 questions and is of 200 marks.
- There is a negative marking in the paper which is 1/3rd of the marks of questions.
- The time duration of the paper is 3 hours.
- Anyone applying for Pre exams is required to have a bachelor’s degree.
Syllabus for Pre Exam:
The syllabus consists of the following topics
- History, Culture, Art, Heritage, Tradition of Rajasthan.
- Ancient, Medieval, Modern History of India.
- Geography of both India and the World.
- Geography of Rajasthan.
- Indian Constitution, Political System, and Governance.
- Administrative System of Rajasthan and its Political System.
- The economy of Rajasthan.
- Science and Technology.
- Mental Ability and Reasoning.
- Current Affairs of Rajasthan, National, International importance.
RAS Mains Exam Pattern
RAS Mains exam is the second round after qualifying in the Pre exam.
The Students who get the cut-off marks are qualified for Mains.
The following are important things for the Mains exam:
- The total Students qualified for the RAS Mains exam for the second round are 15 times the total number of vacancies.
- The Mains exam consists of 4 papers.
- All 4 papers of RAS Mains are descriptive, unlike the first round.
- Paper numbers 1, 2, 3 are of General Studies and 200 marks each and the 4th paper is of general English and Hindi which is also of 200 marks.
- The level of papers 1, 2, and 3 is graduation level while the 4th paper is senior secondary level.
- The time duration of all the papers is 3 hours each.
- There is no optional paper in the RAS Mains exam and students have to appear in all the papers to be eligible for selection.
- The marks obtained are from a total of 800 marks and are used for the final merit list after the Interview round.
- The paper consists of 3 types of questions short, medium, and long answers type questions.
- Shorts questions are of 2 marks each and the word limit for this is 15.
- Medium questions are of 5 marks each and the word limit is 50 words.
- Long questions are of 10 marks each and the word limit is 100 words.
The RAS Exam Pattern and Syllabus of General Science papers are as follows:
Paper 1: Short Questions-25, Medium Questions-16, long Questions- 7, Total Questions-48, Total Marks-200.
Syllabus: History, Economics, Sociology, Accounting
Paper 2: Short Questions-15, Medium Questions-14, long Questions- 10, Total Questions-39, Total Marks-200.
Syllabus: Science and Technology, Administrative Ethics, Earth Science.
Paper 3: Short Questions-25, Medium Questions-16, long Questions- 7, Total Questions-48, Total Marks-200.
Syllabus: Current Affairs, Indian and World politics, Sports and Laws, Concepts of Public Administration, Yoga.
Syllabus for General Hindi and General English:
Comprehension, Essay Writing, Grammar, Translation.
To further understand the exam pattern and Syllabus you should visit the experts TheThoughtTree(T3).
The students who qualify for Mains exams are shortlisted for the final round which is the Interview round. The RAS Interview consists of 100 marks in total. It contains marks for personal appearance, looks, behavior, and dressing sense. For the interview round, Students must have a good knowledge of Rajasthani culture and its Language.
The final merit is calculated based on the marks obtained in the Mains out of 800 and the Marks in the interview round out of 100. So the final marks are out of 900.
Note: For Rajasthan Police Services (RPS) the preference is given to the students with a ‘C’ Certificate of NCC.